Helping Communities Assist Victims of Crime and Trauma

What is a Victim Impact Statement?

A Victim Impact Statement is your opportunity to tell the court how this crime has affected you and those around you. You write out your statement in your own words. The judge will read it when the person found guilty of the crime is sentenced. You may also read the statement out loud in court if you want to.

You do not have to prepare a Victim Impact Statement but you can if you want to.

How do I give a Victim Impact Statement?

If you want the court to know how a crime has affected you, you must describe the impact in your own words. Contact your local Victim Services Unit for a Victim Impact Statement form.

When should I write out my statement?

You may write your statement at any time, but please remember that it must get to the judge before the person found guilty of the crime is sentenced.

What happens to my statement once I have completed it?

Once you have completed your statement, return it to the Victim Services office or your local police station. They will ensure it is sent to Crown Prosecutions for consideration by the judge should the offender be convicted.

A copy of your statement will be given to the prosecutor, the person charged with the crime and his/her lawyer. This happens to all information that police gather about a crime. When the offender is convicted your Victim Impact Statement will be provided to the judge.

Where can I get help if I have questions or need more information about preparing a Victim Impact Statement?

If you need help or do not understand exactly what you should do to write your statement, please call our office and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Will I have to go to court to testify about the statement?

You do not have to be present at sentencing if you do not wish to go. However, if you choose, you can tell the prosecutor you want to read your statement out loud in court. Sometimes the judge, the Crown Prosecutor or the defence lawyer may have questions about the statement. If they do, you may be asked to come to court to answer their questions.

For information about victims services programs, contact:

Saskatchewan Justice, Victims Services
610, 1874 Scarth St.
Regina, SK  S4P 4B3
Phone: (306) 787-3500  Fax: (306) 787-0081
Web site :
TDD: 1-800-787-3954